2nd SAARC Anti-Terrorism Mechanism Kicked Off in New Delhi [ Current News (Concise) ]
The High Level Group of Eminent Experts to strengthen the SAARC Anti-Terrorism Mechanism Second Edition was held in New Delhi. The conference was attended by the all eight SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) delegations.
- This conference directly concerned with the issues of terrorism and the measures to strengthen the SAARC anti-terrorism mechanism.
- Other important points considered in meeting included:
- Terrorism financing
- Drugs trafficking
- During the conference, all the member countries shared their counter terrorism efforts.
- All the countries are agreed to operationalizing the SAARC Drugs Offences Monitoring Desk (SDOMD) and SAARC Terrorist Offences Monitoring Desk (STOMD) to make the combat terrorism.
- It was established in 1995 in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Analyses and disseminates information on terror offences, strategies, tactics, and methods in SAARC region.
- Was not functional due to some technical issues.
- The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) is regional diplomatic organization and geopolitical union in South Asia.
- Its member countries are:
- The Maldives
- Sri Lanka
- SAARC includes 3% of the world’s area, 21 % of the world’s population, and 9.12 % of the global economy, as of 2015.
- Published/Last Modified on: September 27, 2016