31st October celebrated as “Rashtriya ekta divas” [ Current News (Concise) ]
National Unity Day (Rashtriya Ekta Diwas) was observed across India on 31 October 2015. To honor the 140th birthday of Independent India’s first Deputy Prime Minister and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off Run for Unity at Raj path in New Delhi on this occasion.
- It was monitored by similar marathons across different parts of Country to pay praise to the efforts made by Sardar Patel to unite India.
About Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel:
- He was born on 31 October, 1875 at Karamsad, Gujarat.
- He is known as the Iron Man of India or Bismarck of India.
- He was a lawyer and had successfully practiced law.
- Advanced he left law practice and joined the Indian national movement under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi.
- In the India’s independence struggle, he played a major role in organizing peasants’ movements on Gandhian principles.
- His biggest involvement to India was his role in the addition of the over 500 princely states with India during 1947 - 49.
- He is also recalled as the Patron Saint of India’s civil servants for founding modern All - India services.
- Published on: November 3, 2015