4th Time in Power in Bihar - Nitish Kumar [ Current News (Concise) ]
Nitish Kumar has sworn in as the Chief Minister (CM) of Bihar for the 4th time. He succeeded by Jitan Ram Manjhi, who had resigned as CM ending a month long political turmoil in Bihar on 20 February 2015.
Governor of Bihar Keshri Nath Tripathi administered the oath of office and secrecy to him at the oath taking ceremony held at Raj Bhawan in Patna and Along with Nitish Kumar, 22 Janta Dal United (JDU) Party legislators, including three women were also sworn in as Cabinet Ministers.
About Nitish Kumar
- Nitish Kumar was born on 1st March 1951 in Bakhtiarpur District of Bihar .
- Nitish Kumar was born to Late Shri Kaviraj Ram Lakhan Singh and Parmeshwari Devi at Hakikatpur (Bakhtiarpur), Patna in Bihar.
- His father was a known freedom fighter and an acknowledged Ayurveda practitioner.
- Nitish has a degree in Electrical Engineering from the Bihar College of Engineering.
- He had started his political career by taking part in the mass movement led by Jayaprakash Narayan between 1974 and 1977 and now is a leader of the Janata Dal (United) party.
- Kumar was elected to Bihar legislative assembly for first time in 1985.
- He was elected to Lok Sabha for 4 consecutive times, first in 1989 than in 1991, 1996 and 1998.
- In 1990, for a brief stint he was Union Minister of Agriculture. In 1998-99, he was Union Minister for Railways and Surface Transport and Minister for Agriculture.
- He was Union Cabinet Minister for Railways in the NDA Government of Atal Bihari Vajpayee from 2001- 2004.
- In 2000, for first time he was made CM of Bihar but had resigned within 7 days.
- In 2005, he was sworn in as the CM of Bihar for second time and in 2010 for third time.
- In May 2014 he had resigned from the CM post taking the responsibility of his party’s (JDU) dismal performance in the 2014 Lok Sabha polls and now again 4th time oath as CM of Bihar in 22 February 2015.
- Published/Last Modified on: February 24, 2015