6th National Conference on Nuclear Energy held in New Delhi [ Current News (Concise) ]
6th National Conference on Nuclear Energy was held in New Delhi on 15 May 2015.The theme of this edition was Nuclear Energy: A Clean Energy option by ASSOCHAM (Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India).
- The conference discussed the issue related to the status of Nuclear Energy in India and this conference is unique because year 2015 celebrates as diamond jubilee of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).
- Nuclear power plants account for 3.5% of India’s current electricity generation, and its share in India’s future electricity generation will be less than 10% even if the installed capacity is tripled.
- National Conference will play a role in reducing India’s reliance on coal for generating electricity along with other sources of energy such as hydropower and solar-power.
- Apart from it various issues were also discussed including on nuclear energy to the decarburization of power sector, Climate change & the future of nuclear energy, nuclear energy expansion & Make in India.
- The conference expressed the issue related to the status of Nuclear Energy in India. India is on course to double its nuclear power generation capacity to more than 10,000 mega watts (MW) over the next five years i.e. 2020.
- Published on: May 20, 2015