A K Patnaik: Senior IPS Officer Appointed as CEO of NATGRID [ Current News (Concise) ]
Senior IPS officer Ashok Patnaik appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the National Intelligence Grid (NATGRID). His appointment was approved by Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC). This Committee chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Ashok Patnaik will continue to hold this post till his retirement in 2018.
- Raghu Raman is the first CEO of NATGIRD ended in June 2015.
- The post was under the charge of former special secretary Ashok Prasad till January 2016.
- Patnaik is a 1983-batch IPS officer from Gujarat.
- Presently, he is serving as Additional Director in Intelligence Bureau (IB).
- Ashok Patnaik is son-in-law of former PM Manmohan Singh.
About National Intelligence grid (NATGRID):
- National Intelligence Grid or NATGRID is the integrated intelligence grid connecting databases of security agencies of the Government of India.
- NATGRID is a central agency.
- NATGRID is to collect inclusive patterns of intelligence that can be readily accessed by intelligence agencies.
- NATGRID is an intelligence sharing network that collects data from the outside databases of the various agencies and ministries of the Indian government.
- NATGRID claims to be protected by several structural and procedural safeguards.
- It oversight mechanisms including external audits and technology safeguards.
- It was established to encourage India’s counter-terrorism capabilities by 21 combining sensitive databases of personal information related to various fields.
- The fields are banks, credit cards, cellphone usage, motor vehicle registrations, immigration records, Income Tax records and National Crime Records Bureau.
- The single database will be accessed by authorised officers from 10 central agencies.
- 10 central agencies includes IB, R&AW, CBI, ED and DRI.
- It is basically a data transfer tool that pursues to give investigators a 360 degree profile of a dubious.
- NATGRID objective is to integrated intelligence grid.
- That will link and store sensitive personal information on citizens from different government agencies for counter-terror investigations.
- Published on: July 15, 2016