A Kanyakumari, First Female Violinist to Get Sangita Kalanidhi Award [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
Well-known violinist Avasarala Kanyakumari was selected for the prestigious 2016 Sangita Kalanidhi Award. She becomes first female violinist chosen in the history of this important award.
- From December 15, 2016 to January 1, 2017, she will also supervise over the 90th annual conference of the Music Academy.
- Eight male violinists have been given with this award.
- They are:
About Avasarala Kanyakumari:
- Avasarala Kanyakumari is a violinist from South India and specializes in Carnatic music. She belongs to a family of musicians.
- She has an experience of over 50 years as an instrumentalist, soloist and teacher.
- She is native of Vijayanagaram in Andhra Pradesh.
- A Kanyakumari has created seven ragas under the title Saptadri seven names of Lord Venkateswara of Tirupati, Tirumurti, Mahalakshmi and Bharat.
Awards and Honours:
- Padma Shri (2015)
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (2003)
About Sangita Kalanidhi award:
- This award is a prestigious award given annually upon an expert of Carnatic Music by the Madras Music Academy.
- The award’s name Sangita Kalanidhi has been derived from Sanskrit.
- Sangita Kalanidhi award means treasure of Music and art in English.
- In Carnatic music this honour is considered as an one of the highest awards.
- Published on: July 25, 2016