Aadhaar Act, 2016 Has Been Announced by the Union Government [ Current News (Concise) ]
The Union Government has announced the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and other Subsidies, benefits and services) Act, 2016. The Act will make available statutory backing for transfer of subsidies and benefits to eligible people having Aadhaar (UID) number.
- Aadhaar Act aims to provide efficient, transparent and targeted delivery of subsidies, benefits and services to individuals residing in India by allocating them unique identity numbers (UID) or Aadhaar number.
- It will be used for all benefit that will be linked to joint fund of India or the disbursement experienced from it.
- Aadhaar for disbursal for benefits and subsidies are used by both central and state government.
- But the Aadhaar number can’t be used as a proof of citizenship or residence.
- The Act provides legitimate for founding of the Unique Identification Authority of India consisting of a Chairperson for part time or full time and two Members for part time.
- Those who do not have Aadhaar number have alternate and viable means of documentation for delivery of the subsidies, benefits or service.
- Published/Last Modified on: March 29, 2016