Abhijeet Gupta Wins Commonwealth Chess Championship in Colombo [ Current News (Concise) - Sports ]
Abhijeet Gupta retaining the 20th Commonwealth Chess championship crown 2016 held in Colombo, Sri Lanka. He is a Grandmaster and former world junior champion in Chess. All the medals in the senior category were won by the Indians players.
- International Master Tania Sachdev also finished and wins the gold medal.
- In the open section, S L Narayanan and Deep Chakkravarthy grandmasters got the silver and bronze medals respectively.
- S Vijayalakshmi, Padmini Rout, and S Meenakshi all won their games to win medals in the women’s section.
- Vijayalakshmi Meenakshi won the Silver and bronze medals respectively in Women Section.
- Abhijeet Gupta coming to the seventh round. Its tough round and in his senior namesake Abhijit Kunte found and it’s a penultimate round. M R Lalith Babu was defeated within complexities.
- Abhijeet Gupta finished the crown with a very impressive eight points out of a possible nine.
- He also winning the first seven games in the championship and drawing the last two with simplicity.
- Published on: August 9, 2016