Abhinav Bindra Appointed as a Head of NRAI Review Committee on Rio Debacle [ Current News (Concise) - Committees ]
Abhinav Bindra India’s first and only individual Olympic gold-medalist is going to head the five-member review committee constituted by National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) to probe the Indian shooters’ Rio Games debacle.
- The committee will submit the report within a maximum period of four weeks and other members of the committee are:
- Former tennis player Manisha Malhotra
- NRAI Secretary Rajiv Bhatia
- Two journalists.
- The main criteria of this committee are to examine and recognize the reasons “why India doesn’t secure any medal in shooting at the Rio Olympics? ”
- And after examine it; the committee will suggest concrete steps to NRAI to ensure that this will not repeated in future Olympics.
About National Rifle Association of India (NRAI)
- The NRAI was founded in 1951 by GV Mavlankar (first president of NRAI), the first speaker of Lok Sabha with aim to promote the shooting sports in India.
- It is associated with the Indian Olympic Association (IOC) and all International Shooting Federations/Confederations.
- At the present time, NRAI conducts annually five national level competitions to promote the sports of shooting in India.
About Abhinav Bindra
- He was born on September 28, 1982.
- He hails from Dehradun in Uttarakhand.
- He is an Indian Shooter.
- He is a World and Olympic champion for 10 m Air rifle.
- He was the youngest participant in 2000 Olympics from India.
- In 2000 he has won Arjuna award.
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna was conferred to him in 2001 and also won 6 gold medals.
- In 2002 Common wealth games he won gold.
- In 2009 he was honored Padma Bhushan.
- In 2011 he was given the Honorary Lieutenant Colonel by The Indian Territorial Army.
- In 2006 he won gold in ISSF World Shooting Championships.
- In 2008 Olympics held in Beijing he became first Indian to win individual gold in the game.
- He won Gold in 2014 Commonwealth Games at Glasgow.
- Published on: August 30, 2016