According to ISFR 2015 India’s forest & tree cover increased by 5, 081 Sq. km. [ Current News (Concise) ]
According to India State of Forest Report (ISFR) 2015 released India’s forest and tree cover has been increased by 5081 Sq. are kilometer. Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar has released this report in New Delhi.
- The 24.16 % of the total geographical area are covered by forest and tree in country it is of 79.42 million hectare.
- And the total forest area has been increased by 3, 775 sq. km and the tree cover by 1, 306 sq. km.
- The increase in forest cover has been mainly observed in open forest category generally outside forest areas which are nearer to Very Dense Forest.
- Open Forest area has been increased by 4744 sq. km it means 9.14 % of the total geographical area.
- Very Dense Forest area is increased by 2404 sq. km, 2.61 % of the total geographical area.
- Total carbon stock has been increased by 103 million tonnes around 1.48 % and is predicted to be 7, 044 million tonnes in the country’s forest.
- India forest is divided in 9 big areas which covers 40 % of forest in 10, 000 sq. kms and more.
State wise maximum increase in forest cover:
- Tamil Nadu (2, 501 sq. km)
- Kerala (1, 317 sq. km)
- Jammu & Kashmir (450 sq. km)
Largest forest cover in terms of area:
- Madhya Pradesh (77, 462 sq. km)
- Arunachal Pradesh (67, 248 sq. km)
- Chhattisgarh (55, 586 sq. km)
Highest percentage of forest cover is Mizoram with 88.93 % and, Lakshadweep with 84.56%.
15 States/UTs have forest cover above 33 % of the geographical area which is covers around 75 % of forest of India they are. . Mizoram, Lakshadweep, Andaman & Nicobar Island, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Meghalaya and Manipur.
- The India State of Forest Report (ISFR) 2015 is the fourteenth report in the sequences.
- The reports is mainly depends on clarification of LISS (Linear Imaging Self-Scanning Sensor) III data of native remote sensing satellite, Resourcesat–II.
- Using extensive and rigorous ground trothing interpretation of the satellite data this report will be formatted.
- Published/Last Modified on: December 8, 2015