Across the World Earth Hour 2016 Was Observed on 19th March 2016 [ Current News (Concise) ]
On 19th March 2016 from 8: 30 pm to 9: 30 pm local time the 10th edition of World Wide Fund for Nature’s (WWF’s) Earth Hour was observed across the World. People energized by Earth Hour 2016 to explore and adopt a cleaner and more supportable lifestyle by implementation renewable energy solutions.
- For the global climate change awareness campaign millions of people around the world took part in the 2016 edition of Earth Hour event.
- In the event around 178 countries and territories participated and more than 1, 200 landmarks along with 40 UNESCO world heritage sites observed the Earth Hour.
- The country-specific theme of India was to encourage usage of solar energy by individuals and organizations.
Other participants who has switching off their lights for 1 hour from 8: 30pm local time are:
- Paris’s iconic Eiffel Tower
- Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate
- Hong Kong’s famed skyline
From India Rashtrapati Bhavan also participated by switching off lights for 1 hour.
About Earth Hour:
- The World Wide Fund (WWF) is organization body of this global environmental event (movement) for Nature.
- The goal observation of Earth Hour is to raise alertness for sustainable energy use and create a more naturally sustainable lifestyle.
- This day inspires citizens, communities, businesses and organizations to switch the lights off from 8: 30 pm local time for an hour to highlight the predicament of the planet.
- On March 31, 2007 the first Earth Hour was held in Sydney, Australia.
- And from then it became annual global environmental event (movement).
World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF):
- It is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) working in the field of the biodiversity conservation, and the reduction of humanity’s footprint on the environment.
- Published on: March 22, 2016