Adoption of UN Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics Has Been Approved by Union Cabinet [ Current News (Concise) ]
For adoption of United Nations Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics the Union Cabinet has given its approval and the Union Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi the decision in this regard was taken.
The 10 UN Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics are as follows:
- Official statistics provide a crucial element in the data system of a democratic society, economy, serving the Government, and public with data about the economic, social, demographic and environmental situation.
- Statistical agencies require deciding rendering to strictly professional considerations to recall trust in official statistics.
- In this regard they must strictly take in to professional considerations, including scientific principles and professional ethics.
- Statistical agencies must extant information permitting to scientific standards on the approaches, sources and procedures of the statistics to facilitate a right interpretation of the data.
- Statistical agencies require commenting on mistaken interpretation and misuse of statistics.
- Information for statistical purposes may be strained from all types of sources.
- Statistical agencies must choose the source with regard to quality, costs, timeliness and the weight on Respondents in this regard.
- Individual information collected by statistical agencies for statistical compilation, whether they denote to natural or legal persons, are to be strictly private and used exclusively for statistical purposes.
- The laws, measures and regulations are to be made public under which the statistical systems operate.
- Statistical agencies within countries must have organization to achieve consistency and efficiency in the statistical system.
- Statistical agencies in each country must use global concepts, methods and classifications.
- It will encourage the constancy and competence of statistical systems at all official levels.
- There should be two-sided and multilateral cooperation in statistics.
- It will help in the improvement of systems of official statistics in all countries.
- In January 2014 the Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics were permitted by the UN General Assembly (UNGA) in its Resolution.
- The Union Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) had supported it on a location from the Union Ministry of External Affairs on the draft UNGA Resolution.
- Most of the elements in these principles are previously being followed to by MoSPI from they are for qualitative developments and good of the statistical system.
- Published/Last Modified on: May 9, 2016