Afghan-India Friendship Dam inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi, Ashraf Ghani [ Current News (Concise) ]
The Afghan-India Friendship Dam Prime has been jointly inaugurated by Minister Narendra Modi and Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani in Herat province in Western Afghanistan during PM Narendra Modi’s first stop to Afghanistan as part of his five- nation tour.
- Previously the Afghan-India Friendship Dam was known as Salma Dam.
- It is constructed on Hari River in Chishti Sharif District of Herat Province neighboring Iran and is earth and rock fill dam.
- It is a multipurpose project built to produce 42 MW of power, irrigate 75000 hectares of land, water supply and other profits to the people of Afghanistan.
- It is predictable to expressively enhance the agricultural economy of the province after irrigating 75000 hectares of land.
- Central Public Sector Unit M/s. WAPCOS below the guidance of Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Expansion and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- The Dam has 104.3 meters height, 540 meters length and 450 meters width at the bottom and the gross capacity of the dam is 633 Million M3.
- All tools and material which is used for dam were transported from India to Iran’s Bander-e-Abbas port via sea route and further it will conveyed by road to Islam Kila border post at Iran-Afghanistan border and then further 300 km by road from the border post to the site.
- India has a strategic partnership with Afghanistan and is executing number of infrastructure projects worth 2 billion dollars to support in restructuration of the country’s infrastructure.
- It has been supporting an Afghanistan-led, Afghanistan-owned, broad-based and comprehensive process of peace and reconciliation as part of India’s goodwill diplomacy.
- India is also supporting the requirement to continue and long-term commitment to Afghanistan by the international community.
- It will locate near the antique trade routes of the Middle East, Central and South Asia.
- Roads from Herat to Turkmenistan, Iran, and other parts of Afghanistan are measured as strategically important.
- Published on: June 7, 2016