African Footballer, Riyad Mahrez Won PFA Player of the Year Award [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
African footballer, Riyad Mahrez wins Professional Footballers Association’s Player of the Year award and became the first African footballer to win this award. Riyad Mahrez recieved the award at the Professional Footballers’ Association awards ceremony organized in London for the 2015–16 seasons.
- He became the second non-European who win this award in the sport of Football after Luis Suarez who is Uruguayan football player and striker.
- Moreover, Dele Alli as F. C. midfielder and Tottenham Hotspur F. C. named as the Young Player of the Year for the 2015–16 seasons.
About Riyad Mahrez:
- Riyad Mahrez was born on 21st February 1991 at Sarcelles, France.
- He is a footballer by profession and plays football for English club Leicester City and the Algerian national team.
- He has started his career as a football player for French club AAS Sarcelles.
- However, he started his football career as a profession in 2009 for the Quimper for one season and then he moved to Le Havre where he played for three years.
- He had made his international entrance in 2014 with Algeria at the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations.
About PFA Player of the Year:
- PFA (Professional Footballers’ Association) Players’ Player of the Year award is an annual award, which is given to the player who has been declared as the best football player of the year in English football.
- This award was started from 1973–74 seasons.
- The first winner of this award was Norman Hunter who was defender of Leeds United.
- The winner is chosen by a vote amongst the members of the players’ trade union and the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA).
- Trade union is also called as labour union which is an Organization of workers who come together to achieve common goals like protecting the integrity of its trade.
- Published/Last Modified on: April 27, 2016