Agriculture expert Ramesh Chand appointed as full time member of NITI Aayog [ Current News (Concise) ]
About NITI Aayog: NITI Aayog is a Government of India policy established by Prime Minister Narendra Modi after his having dissolved the Planning Commission. The Union Government of India announced formation of NITI Aayog on 1st January 2015.
- NITI stands for National Institution for Transforming India.
- “Aayog’” is the Hindi word for “commission”.
- The specified aim of NITI Aayog’s creation is to raise involvement and participation in the economic policy - making process by state governments of India.
- It is a “bottom - up” approach in contrast to the Planning Commission’s tradition of “top - down” decision - making.
About appointment of Ramesh Chand:
- Renowned Agriculture expert Professor Ramesh Chand has been appointed as new full time member of NITI Aayog.
- He became third full - time member of NITI Aayog.
- Union Government’s think chamber which had replaced the previous Planning Commission.
- Before Mr. Ramesh Chand, economist Bibek Debroy and former DRDO chief V K Saraswat are other two full - time members of NITI Aayog.
- Since 2010, Mr. Chand has been working as Director of New Delhi based National Institute of Agricultural Economics and Policy Research (NIAP).
- Published on: September 10, 2015