Alok Kumar Verma Appointed as Delhi Police Commissioner [ Current News (Concise) ]
Senior IPS Officer Alok Kumar Verma has appointed as new Police Commissioner of Delhi. He has succeeded B. S. Bassi. Union Home Ministry has cleared his position on February 17 and then Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung has issue the appointment order.
About Alok Kumar Verma:
- Verma is a senior IPS officer from 1979-batch Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram and Union Territory (AGMUT) cadre.
- He was working as Director General (Prisons) before he is appointed as Delhi Police Commissioner.
- He has served on many crucial posts such as
- DCP (south and north east Delhi),
- Joint Commissioner of New Delhi Range,
- Crime Branch as Joint CP, DG Mizoram etc.
Facts about Delhi Police
- Delhi police is a key law and order agency of the national capital Union territory Delhi under article 239AA as inserted by Constitution 69th Amendment Act 1991.
- And according to this article, Delhi assembly is able to make laws for whole or part of the NCT of Delhi on all subjects in the State List or Concurrent List except Public Order, Police and Land.
- The police commissioner of Delhi reports to the lieutenant governor in Delhi because Delhi Police comes under Union Home Ministry while Delhi Development Authority comes under Union Urban Development Ministry.
- Published on: March 1, 2016