Andhra Pradesh: First State of India to Launch DNA Profiling of Criminals [ Current News (Concise) ]
By launching DNA Index System (DIS) for DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid) profiling of criminals which use the latest DNA technology tool (also known as Rapid HIT DNA System) uses Andhra Pradesh became the first state of India to launch it.
- The system is developed by IntegenX of United States.
- The DNA Index System (DIS) will creates DNA profiles from live samples such as buccal swabs, saliva and blood stains etc. and generate a profiles within 90 to 120 minutes whereas current technologies takes at least two days or more.
- DIS will helps to bring down crimes because it has huge database of DNA profiles of offenders and also help the suspects prove their innocence.
- Repeat offenders will be easily and quickly identified in DNA database which help to bring down crime rate.
- It also helps to resolve missing person’s cases by immediately DNA testing which reduce backlogs of trying of criminal cases.
What is DNA?
- DNA is the genetic material which is available in tissue of all living cells of humans and animals and plants.
- It consistently contains hereditary data passed from parent to children and it is unique to each person except identical twins.
- So that DNA becomes reliable and unique personal identification tool.
What is DNA profiling technology?
- DNA fingerprinting is different and identifying method of variable elements within the base-pair sequence of DNA.
- DNA fingerprinting technology is mostly used by police accrues the world for complete identification of criminals at the crime scene.
- The technology helps a lot to solve crimes by connecting criminal with the crime scene.
- Published/Last Modified on: August 24, 2016