Anju Bobby George (world long jump champion) selected as Chairperson of TOP [ Current News (Concise) ]
Anju Bobby George was appointed as the Chairperson of Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) by Union Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs. She will be supposing to get charge in the first week of December 2015. She will replace Anurag Thakur, Member of Parliament and Secretary of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) who had resigned from this post.
About Anju Bobby George:
- Born: 19 April 1977
- Anju Bobby George made history by jumping 6.70 m. the first Indian athlete who had won bronze medal in the World Athletics Championships (Paris) in 2003.
- In 2005, at the World Athletics Championships (Monte Carlo) she had won the silver medal. But in 2014after exclusion of Russian Gold Medalist Tatyana Kotova on fixing charges, she was declared winner of this Championship.
- Before this appointment, she was member of the TOPS’ identification committee which includes well - known sports personalities like Pullela Gopichand, Rahul Dravid, Abhinav Bindra and MC Mary Kom.
Awards and Honours:
- Arjuna award (2003)
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award (2004)
- Padma Shri (2004)
About Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS):
- For 2016 and 2020 Olympic Games, The National Sports Development Fund (NSDF) was formulated with an objective of identifying and supporting potential medal prospects sportspersons
- Boxing, Athletics, Badminton, Archery, Wrestling and Shooting are the main focused criteria for TOPS committee.
- Published/Last Modified on: November 26, 2015