Apple acquires GPS firm Coherent Navigations [ Current News (Concise) ]
Apple Tech giant Apple has acquired Global Position System (GPS) firm Coherent Navigation to improve its mapping capabilities. GPS firm Coherent Navigation’s technology will be used by Apple to significantly enhance its Apple Maps product which is struggling to provide accurate location information.
- Coherent Navigations is a company focused on hyper-accurate GPS and its navigation system provides accurate location information to within a few centimeters.
- Earlier, Apple Maps was phased out by Google Maps which had attracted a wide range of audience to their service in 2012.
- In recent year, Apple made deal map-related technology which the acquisition is also part of a series. Apple acquired mapping start-ups Embark, HopStop.com and BroadMap in earlier.
- Apple in order to create its own alternative to Google Maps for the mapping feature on its devices by all of these mapping start-ups was acquired.
- Apple Inc. is an American multinational technology company headquartered in Cupertino, California and it designs and creates the iPhone, iPad, iOS 8, OS X, iPod and iTunes, and the new Apple Watch.
- Published on: May 25, 2015