Arvind Saxena, becomes first RAW officer to be appointed as member of UPSC [ Current News (Concise) ]
Indian President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed as first RAW officer Mr. Arvind Saxena has as Member of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) in first time in history at the age of 65 years. The Chairman and members of UPSC has term of six years or until he attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier mention in Article 315.
- Mr. Arvind Saxena is an RAS officer of 1978 batch. Earlier, Mr. Arvind Saxena was Director and Ex-officio Special Secretary, Aviation Research Centre (ARC) of India’s external snooping agency RAW.
- Mr. Saxena became first officer from Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) to become member of UPSC. ARC has the responsibility with Indian Air-Force (IAF) to transport Special Frontier Force commandos.
- At present, only one vacancy is present multimember constitutional body UPSC which comprised of 10 members besides a Chairperson.
- Aviation Research Centre (ARC) carries out aerial surveillance of India’s borders using its unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and other aircraft including MIGs and helicopters.
- Published on: May 14, 2015