Ashok Chawla: New Chancellor of TERI University [ Current News (Concise) ]
Ashok Chawla was a Former Finance Secretary appointed as the new Chancellor of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) University as decided in the governing council meeting of TERI held on 19th August 2016.
- He will appointed at the place of former Chancellor and Head R.K. Pachauri, who is suspended because of suspect of sexually harassing a female colleague in 2015.
- Prior to this Ashok Chawla was serving as Chairman of TERI since February 2016.
About The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI):
- TERI was established in 1974 as Tata Energy Research Institute and in 2003 it was renamed as The Energy and Resources Institute.
- It is a non-profit research institution which research work in the fields of energy, environment and sustainable development.
- Main aim behind implementation of it to focus on formulating local and national level strategies for shaping global solutions to critical issues.
- About 1200 employees are work with it particularly research professionals from different disciplines pertaining to issues of environment and energy.
- The International Centre for Climate Governance (ICCG) has ranked TERI as the top global think-tank in 2013.
About Ashok Chawla
- Mr. Chawla is Indian Administrative Service officers of 1973 Gujarat cadre.
- He has served as an Additional Secretary and Financial Advisor of Department of Fertilizers, India.
- He was also a Managing Director of Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd. and Guj Indl Investment Corpn (GIIC).
- During his career he has served at many positions in various areas such as Finance, Civil Aviation, Chemical, and Fertilizer and Industries.
- He has completed his Diploma in Micro-level Planning, M.A. in English literature and Economics from Delhi University.
- Published on: September 5, 2016