Asteroid 316201 named after Malala Yousafzai [ Current News (Concise) ]
Malala Yousafzai is selected for an asteroid 316201 after the youngest Nobel laureate and girls’ education campaigner Malala Yousafzai at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, United States under the International Astronomical Union rules.
- Mr. Mainzer had discovered the asteroid which was known as 316201. As a discoverer of the asteroid he had owned the rights to name it in 2010.
- Asteroid 316201 Malala is located in the Main Belt between Mars and Jupiter and it orbits around the Sun every 5.5 years and is more-than 2 mile wide.
- Malala was born on 12 July 1997 in Mingora city in Swat province of Pakistan. Malala had survived an assassination attempt after she was shot in the head Taliban gunmen in 2012.
- Malala was awarded Nobel peace prize at the age of 17 in 2014 and she becoming youngest Nobel Laureate in the history of Nobel award who had shared this prize with Indian children’s rights activist Kailash Satyarthi of India.
- Malala is also received award with National Youth Peace Prize in 2011, Mother Teresa Awards for Social Justice in 2012, Simon de Beauvoir Prize in 2013, and Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought in 2013 and Anna Politkovskaya Award in 2013.
- Published/Last Modified on: April 13, 2015