Astra missile successfully test fired from ITR Chandipur in Odisha [ Current News (Concise) ]
Astra (air-to-air missile) was successfully test fired at the Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur in Odisha and it was test-fired aboard a Sukhoi-30 fighter aircraft. Astra (air-to-air missile) is a beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) that is capable of engaging its target at ranges of 37 km. Astra missile has operational range of 60km.
- Astra (air-to-air missile) is India’s first BVR air-to-air missile which operational range of 60km.
- Astra missile is the all-weather missile and it was indigenously designed and developed by the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO).
- The speed of Astra (air-to-air missile) is 4780 km/h which travels at supersonic speed and possesses Single Shot Kill Probability (SSKP) with active radar terminal guidance.
- It uses smokeless propulsion system to evade enemy radars and has the capacity to engage in multi-target scenario.
- Published/Last Modified on: March 20, 2015