BARC Introduced User Friendly and Portable Kit to Detect Chromium Contamination of Water [ Current News (Concise) ]
The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) has introduced a portable kit to determination Chromium contamination in drinking water which will be very beneficial for leather steel, chrome plating, paint manufacturing and wood preservation kind of industries.
- This kit is simple, easy to use, faster and cost effective for onsite determination of Cr(VI) in drinking water.
- The kit check the water based on Indian standard IS10500 for drinking water allowed 50 microgram per liter and US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) criterion allow 10 microgram per liter.
- The detection kit will helps to measure the level of Chromium contamination in drinking and tap water, rivers, lakes and ground water.
How to use it:
- Add specific range of reagents in specified amount of the water sample and identifying the developed colour
- For example if we are taking 5 mL of Ce (VI) contaminated water then the process will be:
- And based on colour chart the water samples can be categorized as safe or toxic for drinking from Cr(VI) point of view.
- Onsite detection
- Instantaneous results
- Sophisticated instruments not requested for analysis
- Easy availability of raw materials
- Good accuracy for the intended purpose
- Cost effective
- Investment cost is low
- Chromium is widely used in many industries such as steel, leather, chrome plating, paint manufacturing, wood preservation etc. and untreated wastes of this industries cause water pollution.
- Chromium primarily exists as Trivalent Chromium Cr(III) and Hexavalent Chromium Cr(VI) in the environment and Cr(VI) is more harmful compared to Cr(III) because it causes stomach ulcers, cancers and severely damage kidneys and liver as classified by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Published/Last Modified on: August 22, 2016