BRICS Working Group 1st Meeting on Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency Begins in Visakhapatnam [ Current News (Concise) ]
First meeting of the BRICS Working Group on Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency will be held in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh during 4th July 2016. BRICS includes Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa countries.
- India being BRICS chair for 2016 has organized this event to shape and steer the BRICS agenda.
- The Union Power Ministry is hosting the meeting of the Working Group.
- BRICS carries together five major emerging economies and keeping the energy growth scenario of BRICS nations.
- Working Group on Energy Saving & Energy Efficiency will work on development of cooperation in energy saving &energy efficiency within BRICS.
Details of meeting:
- First meeting of the BRICS will considered a work plan on development of cooperation in energy saving and energy efficiency with BRICS.
- In the field of energy saving and energy efficiency the BRICS countries would make presentations on actions taken by them.
- India will also show its efforts in energy saving and energy efficiency in particular the LED street lighting programme.
- A Joint Statement will be agreed upon which will be a guiding tool for the BRICS Working Group on “Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency”.
- For the industrial energy efficiency it will also showcase PAT (Performance Achievement and Trade) programme.
Background of BRICS:
- A part from being innovative will also serve the purpose of branding India globally.
- Ministry of Power will host the meeting and will also showcase Energy Saving initiatives in the country.
- 20th November 2015: Meeting of the BRICS Ministers of Energy in Moscow.
- Memorandum of Mutual Understanding in Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency was signed.
- They agreed to carry on their energy cooperation through joint research and technology projects; technology transfer; conferences, lectures and seminars; and exchange of experience and best practices.
- The Ministers also decided to create a Working Group on Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency to coordinate their cooperation.
- BRICS is an association of five major emerging national economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- BRICS brings together five major emerging economies, 43 % of the world population, 37 % of the world GDP and 17 % share in the world trade.
- Seven BRICS Summits have taken place so far. The 8th BRICS Summit will be hosted by India during its Chairmanship in 2016. The earlier Summits were held as under:
- Published/Last Modified on: July 5, 2016