Bandhan, the micro finance company is going to start operation as a commercial bank [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Bandhan: Bandhan Bank is banking and financial services company in India. It’s headquarter is in Kolkata, West Bengal. It was founded by Chandra Sekhar Ghosh who is act as a managing director.
- Ashok Lahiri is chairman of the new bank.
- It is world’s largest Non - Deposit - accepting Microfinance Institution (MFI).
- Bandhan Micro - Finance helps by provide money to low income business women, Self Help Groups and small - scale businesses.
- Earlier, it was started as a micro - finance company in 2001 with IDFC.
- It has received Banking licenses by Reserve Bank of India in 2014.
- Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley officially granted as the bank in a program held in Kolkata On 23rd August 2015.
- In the beginning, it has opened its 501 branches across India.
- As of now, it has 2022 branches in India which are spread across 22 states with focus in the Eastern and North - Eastern Regions of India.
About Bandhan as commercial bank:
- Bandhan Bank has become the first micro - finance company in India by starting its operation as commercial bank.
- Its aim is to helping in country’s banking sector to spread the awareness of banking to unbanked population.
- Published on: August 24, 2015