Bezwada Wilson, TM Krishna Win Ramon Magsaysay Award 2016 [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
Social activist Bezwada Wilson and musician TM Krishna have won the prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Award 2016. Bezwada Wilson and TM Krishna are among the total six awardees selected for the 2016 Ramon Magsaysay Award, often regarded as Asia’s Nobel Prize.
- Mr. Krishna will receive the award for “social inclusiveness in culture, ” while Wilson was named as an awardee for “asserting the inalienable right to a life of human dignity. ”
- Bezwada Wilson, a renowned campaigner against manual scavenging, and Carnatic singer T. M. Krishna from Chennai were named for the prestigious Magsaysay Award on Wednesday.
The six awardees are
Bezwada Wilson (India): Bezwada Wilson was recognized for asserting the inalienable right to a life of human dignity.
- Bezwada Wilson is the National Convener of the Safai Karmachari Andolan (SKA).
- He has done remarkable work in liberating scores of people engaged in manual scavenging across the country.
Thodur Madabusi Krishna (India): Thodur Madabusi Krishna has been recognized for ensuring social inclusiveness in culture. He is best Carnatic music vocalist.
Conchita Carpio Morales (Philippines): She has been renowned for restoring faith in the rule of law.
Dompet Dhuafa (Indonesia): She has renowned for expanding the transformative impact of zakat.
Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers (Japan): Organisation recognized for building a world of genuine unity.
Vientiane Rescue (Laos): Organisation recognized for volunteering to save lives at risk.
- They will be given with this award at the awarding ceremony to held at the Cultural Center of the Philippines in Pasay City on August 31, 2015 i. e. on the birth anniversary of former Filipino President Ramon Magsaysay.
About Ramon Magsaysay Award
- Ramon Magsaysay Award is honour of Asia and is often regarded as the region’s equivalent of the Nobel Prize.
- This award was established in 1957 in the memory of Philippines’ 3rd President Ramon Magsaysay who had died in air disaster in March 1957.
- Award was established by trustees of the New York City based Rockefeller Brothers Fund and Philippine government.
- It is awarded yearly to individuals or organizations from Asia region for their altruistic and philanthropic service.
- Award brings a Medallion bearing the likeness of the late President Ramon Magsaysay, cash prize and a certificate.
- Published on: July 28, 2016