Bhaichung Bhutia appointed as advisor to the AIFF [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Bhaichung Bhutia: Padma Shri and Arjuna award winner Bhaichung Bhutia, was born in Sikkim and plays as a striker. He also has a stadium named after him. He is considered as the torchbearer of Indian football internationally.
- On 28 October 2010, he started the Bhaichung Bhutia Football Schools in Delhi in association with Carlos Queiroz and Nike.
About his appointment:
- The footballer from Sikkim is set to assist the Indian FA on matters mostly concerning to the senior and junior national teams.
- The All India Football Federation (AIFF) appointed Bhaichung Bhutia as its advisor for ‘overall issues of the game and the federation. ‘
- As a matter of fact, Bhutia is already the chairman of the technical committee.
- AIFF president Praful Patel was quoted saying, ” (We) have appointed Bhaichung Bhutia as advisor to AIFF and myself for the overall issues of the game and the federation. “
- After his appointment, Bhutia specified that it was important to have a long term vision for development of Indian football on the whole.
- “I intend to work and coordinate with all stakeholders including the Ccubs and the state FAs to take Indian football forward. I would focus on youth development programmes and restructuring and professionalizing the respective state football associations, ” he further mentioned.
- “I want to form a core group to guide and provide support to the state football associations. The scouting programmes need to be in place as well as the grassroots programs. We need to have a long term vision, ” he added.
- Published on: October 20, 2015