Bhanu Pratap Sharma appointed as Chairperson of FSSAI [ Current News (Concise) ]
Union Government of India has appointed Bhanu Pratap Sharma as Chairperson Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI). At present, Bhanu Pratap Sharma is Health and Family Welfare Secretary was given additional charge of FSSAI for three months. Sharma is an IAS officer of 1981 batch from Bihar cadre.
- FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. FSSAI is a nodal statutory agency responsible for protecting and promoting public health in India through the regulation and supervision of food safety.
- FSSAI was established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. It operates under aegis of Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- A function of FSSAI has been established to lay down science based standards for various food products in order ensure availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption.
- Headquarter of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) in New Delhi. It also has 8 regional offices located in Delhi, Guwahati, Mumbai, Lucknow, Chandigarh, Kolkata, Cochin and Chennai. It has 4 referral laboratories and 72 local laboratories located across India.
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) regulates the manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import of food products for human consumption.
- Published on: July 21, 2015