Build the first nuclear plant of Egypt at Dabaa Russia approves deal [ Current News (Concise) - International Relations & Organizations ]
To finance and build first nuclear power plant at Dabaa on the Mediterranean coast in the northwest of the country Russia has signed two agreements with Egypt. According to one of the agreement, to cover the cost to complete the construction of nuclear plant which could be completed up to 2022, Russia will extend a loan to Egypt.
As per the agreements:
- Russia will grant a 35 - year loan the Arab world’s most populous country Egypt.
- Still in the agreement the loan has been not disclosed as the details of the credit of agreement are under discussion.
- Dabaa Nuclear plant will have total capacity of 1, 200 MW and will be a third - generation plant with four reactors.
- After completion the plant Egypt will be civil nuclear technology’s regional leader.
- From 1980s Egypt has subsequently wants its plan to have a peaceful nuclear programme for the production of electricity at Dabaa.
- But in 1986 due to the Chernobyl disaster the North African country had frozen its nuclear programme plans after disputes with local residents.
- However in 2006, Egypt once again had announced plans to revive its dream of peaceful nuclear programme under the dictatorial President - ship of Hosni Mubarak. But Its nuclear programme plans were stalled and the President was overthrown in 2011 revolution.
- In February 2015 The newly elected President Abdel - Fattah al - Sisi had signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to go ahead with the civil nuclear programme.
- Published/Last Modified on: November 23, 2015