By Approving sale of dengue vaccine Dengvaxia Philippines becomes first Asian Country to sale it [ Current News (Concise) ]
By approving the sale of the world’s first ever dengue vaccine Dengvaxia in the country Philippines became the first Asian country to do this. French pharmaceutical manufacturer Sanofi Pasteur has manufactured this Dengvaxia vaccine.
- It has been aimed to protect people in the 9 - 45 age groups from all four subtypes of the virus.
- An extensive clinical development programme of the French company has produced The Dengvaxia vaccine and then ran for almost two decades.
- To roll out the vaccine in 20 countries Sanofi Pasteur has requested authorization.
- Previously Mexico has first supervisory approval it before fortnight and currently is being reviewed by around 20 countries in Asia and Latin America.
- Scientific tests of the vaccine was carried out on 40, 000 people from different 15 countries by the company has shown that vaccine can protect two-thirds of people aged 9 - 45.
- It was also found that the vaccine is expert of reducing the risk of hospitalization of person sick by dengue virus up to 80%.
- Dengue is considered as the world’s fastest growing mosquito borne disease mainly due to climate change and now there is a hope that vaccine could eventually help prevent millions of deaths from dengue.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO) survey around 400 million people are infected worldwide every year by the dengue virus and 2/3 is in Asia.
- Published/Last Modified on: December 24, 2015