CNR Rao conferred Japan’s highest civilian award Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
C.N.R. Rao who is an eminent scientist and Bharat Ratna awardee was conferred with Japan’s highest civilian award the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star which awarded by Japanese Ambassador to India, Takeshi Yagi for his outstanding contributions to science and Indo-Japanese science cooperation. Full name of C.N.R. Rao is Chintamani Nagesa Ramachandra Rao. He is the world’s foremost solid state and materials chemists. He has worked mainly in solid-state and structural chemistry.
- C.N.R. Rao was first Indian scientist to reach the h-index of 100. He has authored of around 1650 research papers and he also has authored and edited 50 books.
- C.N.R. Rao is also an elected member of almost all scientific academies across the globe and had served as Chair of the Scientific Advisory Council to Prime Ministers of India.
- C.N.R. Rao is also the Honorary President of Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advance Scientific Research, Bengaluru and a former Chair of the Japan-India Science Council.
- C.N.R. Rao was awarded with India’s highest civilian award Bharat Ratna in 2014 along with cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar.
- Published/Last Modified on: June 24, 2015