CSIR-CMERI Develops Solar Power Tree for Generation of Electricity from Solar Energy [ Current News (Concise) ]
‘Solar Power Tree’ launched by Union Ministry of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences in New Delhi. An innovative way to generate electricity by harnessing maximum solar energy in a limited space.
- Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences headed by Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- CSIR-Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-CMERI) developed Solar Power Tree.
- Solar Power Tree can harnesses solar energy for producing electricity with an innovative vertical procedure of solar cells.
- It reduces requirement of land as compared to predictable Solar Photovoltaic layout.
- It keeps the land attractiveness and is possible in both rural and urban areas.
- In a conventional horizontal layout for generating 5 KW it requires 400 square feet of land.
- It takes only 4 square feet of land for installing a 5 KW Solar Power tree.
- It harnesses more sunrays for one hour in a day as photovoltaic panels are placed at higher height on an average.
- Solar Power Tree harness up to 10 - 15 % more power in comparison to a conventional layout on ground.
- It has a battery back-up of 2 hours on full load.
- It can give light even after sunset and facilitated with water spray at the top for self-cleaning of panels.
- It help to increase the efficiency of the solar panels.
- It is a essential laboratory of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
- Published on: July 25, 2016