Cabinet gives permission to include Sipai, Patni, Jamat Kahar and Tanwar Singhariya in the OBC list [ Current News (Concise) ]
About permission from Cabinet: Union Cabinet gives permission to modify the Central List of Other Backward Classes (OBCs) for Gujarat and Uttarakhand for adding of Sipai and Patni Jamat or Turk Jamat from Gujarat and Kahar, Tanwar Singhariya from Uttarakhand in the list.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi takes this decision in Union Cabinet meeting to make suitable alterations in the Central List of OBCs based on advice from the National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC).
- In this permission these communities or castes will get the benefits of reservation in Government services as well as in Central Educational Institutions as per the existing reservation policy.
- They will also get benefited by various Union Government welfare schemes, scholarships etc. , which are presently available to persons who are OBCs.
About National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC):
- NCBC, it is an Act of 1993 which allows the commission to examine requests for inclusion of any communities or castes as a backward class in the lists.
- After examining the requests, NCBC will give such advice to the Union Government which shall be normally required.
- Total of 2, 404 caste or sub - castes have been notified in the Central list of OBCs from 24 States and 6 Union Territories.
- Published on: August 31, 2015