Changalikodan Banana of Kerala has given GI status [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Changalikodan Banana: Changalikodan Nendran Banana is also famously known as Changalikodan. It is a banana variety invented and refined in Chengazhikodu village of Thrissur District in Kerala of India.
- Changalikodan are refined on the banks of the Bharathapuzha River.
- It is grown in Erumapetty, Wadakkancherry, Mundoor, Kaiparambu, Desamangalam and Thayyur of Thrissur District.
About GI Status:
- GI stands for Geographical Indication which is a sign on products having a unique geographical origin and development over centuries.
- These products have special quality to its physical origin.
- GI registration is governed by the Geographical Indications of goods which is Registration and Protection Act, 1999 in India.
- GI status convenes legal protection to these products and prevents unauthorized use of it.
- Darjeeling tea was the first agricultural product in India to be allowed with GI tag.
About GI Status to Changalikodan Banana:
- Changalikodan banana from Thrissur district of Kerala has been given Geographical Indication status by the Chennai based Central GI registry.
- Chengalikodan banana is known for its unique shape, size, colour and taste.
- There are also some other GI status products from Kerala which are Vazhakkulam pineapple, Central Travancore jaggery, Pokkali rice, Palakkadan matta rice, Wayanadan scented rice varieties Jeerakasala and Gandhakasala.
- Published on: August 25, 2015