Chile wins Copa America title 2015 of football for first time [ Current News (Concise) ]
Chile won Copa America title 2015 (South America’s most prestigious football trophy) for the first time which played at Santiago de Chile. First ever international trophy of Chile in Football trophy.
- The hosts defeated 14 times champion Argentina by 4-1 goals in the penalty shootout as regular match had ended in a goal-less draw.
- In the penalty shootout Matas Fernndez, Arturo Vidal, Alexis Sanchez and Charles Arnguiz of Chilean team scored 1 goal each while from Argentina team only Lionel Messi scored goal in the penalty shoot.
- The Copa America means America Cup in Spanish and Portuguese title and it is an annual international football competition.
- Copa America title was established in 1916 and it is oldest international continental football competition. It is played between the men’s national football teams of South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL).
- Earlier, Argentina had won Copa America title fourteen times in 1921, 1925, 1927, 1929, 1937, 1941, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1955, 1957, 1959, 1991, and 1993.
- Uruguay has won this title for record 15 times in 1916, 1917, 1920, 1923, 1924, 1926, 1935, 1942, 1956, 1959, 1967, 1983, 1987, 1995 and 2011.
- In 1993, the present tournament format was restructured which involves 12 teams. These teams compete at venues in a host nation over a period of one month.
- Published/Last Modified on: July 7, 2015