China Developed World’S Largest Radio Telescope [ Current News (Concise) - Science & Technology ]
Tianyan is the largest radio telescope in the world developed by China. Also known as “Heavenly Eye” or “The Eye of Heaven” or the “Five-hundred-metre Aperture Spherical radio Telescope (FAST)”.
It is set up at the Dawodang depression (vast natural crater), a natural basin in Pingtang County in the Guizhou Province, Southwest China.
Key Facts about Five-hundred-metre Aperture Spherical radio Telescope (FAST)
- The first phase of intensive testing has already started
- Will be operational in approximately in three years.
- Most aspiring project of the National Astronomical Observatories of China.
- World’s largest filled aperture (single dish) radio telescope
- Second largest radio telescope after the Russian RATAN-600. RATAN-600 had a sparsely filled aperture established using 4,450 panels with a reflector as large as 30 football pitches.
- 500 meters diameter so it becomes more sensible.
- Will search the signs of intelligent life and notice distant pulsars (tiny, rapidly spinning neutron stars supposed to be the products of supernova explosions).
- Will also study stellar radio emissions, gravitational waves, and signals from potential extraterrestrial civilization.
- SkyEye-1 the best supercomputer in China will process the massive amounts of data collect from of FAST.
- Published on: September 27, 2016