Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations [ Detailed Analysis (CA/GS) ]
CEPI, Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations aims to stop future epidemics and it is a Public- private coalition. The concept is to develop early vaccines without knowing the form in which the infection will appear.
- India would be the leader of the project.
- Department of Biotechnology
- Ministry of S&T
- Government of India
- Government of Norway
- Welcome Trust
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- World Economic Forum.
What are Epidemics?
- Epidemics is the rapid spread of infectious disease to the large number of people within a short period of time, an attack rate of 15 cases per 100,000 people for two consecutive weeks is considered as an epidemic.
Objectives of CEPI
Role of India as a Leader
- India will develop vaccines for diseases that are having a large impact and would also give attention to common diseases.
- India has large team of scientists and India has a huge capability and potential as witnessed in H1N1 case.
- India will collaborate with large trope of government agencies like WHO, The welcome trust.
- India would focus to find resources and commitment needed for the coalition.
- The ethical practices like development and manufacturing of drugs would take place.
- It is been a perception that India will be the hub for the pharmaceutical industry. Thus, India will have to ensure leadership in development and manufacturing.
- The practices require strong credible academic partners and regulations. The drugs controller general of India has already taken the lead and improved clinical tests.
- Ebola vaccines would be the first priority of CEPI.
- The vaccines would be chosen from the report called An R&D Blueprint for Action to Prevent Epidemics
- The List of vaccines includes chikungunya, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and the related severe acute Respiratory syndrome, Nipah virus etc.
- The coalition will focus on the diseases, which do not have a large market in global terms.
Human Trial of Vaccines
- The vaccine would be tested in 1st phase on few healthy people as for testing any new vaccine, safety is key part.
- Then in the phase, the vaccine would be tested on large number of people to get the information about proper working of immune system.
- The phase 3 will detect whether the vaccine can prevent disease in the target market or not.
Controlled Human Infection Model (CHIM) – in more industrial countries, is a unique way to study the drugs. In this method, the diseases are induced in the body of a person in the tight setting and then the vaccine is given to them to check the ability of the vaccine. This puts a few people at risk while checking of vaccines.
- India will play a big role in working with the less resourced countries of Asia and Africa along with Industrial countries.
- The India-Africa Health Summit, organized by the ICMR is an example of the kind of the engagement where India would work for unprivileged countries and are in the need to build capacity in science, medicine, and manufacturing.
- Published/Last Modified on: September 30, 2016