Cochin Airport ranked no. 1 to operate completely on Solar Power [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Solar Power: Solar power is the conversion of sunlight into electricity. It is done by either directly using photovoltaic or indirectly using concentrated solar power. Concentrated solar power systems use lenses or mirrors and tracking systems to focus a large area of sunlight into a small beam.
About Cochin Airport:
- Cochin International Airport is an international airport situated in Kochi of Kerala state in India.
- It is the full of activity and largest airport of Kerala.
- It has two existing and one “under construction” international airports and total of four international airports which are the highest in India.
About ranking No. 1 - Cochin Airport:
- Cochin International Airport has become the first airport in the world which completely operates on solar power.
- It achieved this rank because Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chand officially commissioned the 12 MWp solar power plant near the cargo complex of airport.
- This plant includes 46, 150 solar sections placed across 45 acres area near the cargo complex.
- The plant was installed by the Vikram Solar Pvt. Ltd of Kolkata.
- It can generate near about 50, 000 units of electricity daily.
- Published on: August 21, 2015