Cricketer Ravichandran Ashwin honoured with Arjuna Award [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
About Ravichandran Ashwin: Ravichandran Ashwin is an Indian international cricketer born on 17 September 1986 and he is from Tamil Nadu. He is a right-handed batsman and right-arm off break bowler.
- He plays for Tamil Nadu in domestic cricket and the Chennai Super Kings in Indian Premier League.
- He is the fastest Indian bowler to reach the 50 and 100 wicket marks in Test cricket.
- He has taken 139 wickets in 99 ODIs, 124 wickets in 25 Tests and 26 wickets in 25 T20 internationals.
- He was BCCI’s international cricketer of year for the 2012-13 season.
About His achievement of award:
- Union Government has gave Arjuna Award to Indian cricket team off-spinner bowler Ravichandran Ashwin.
- Ashwin became 48th cricketer to receive the prestigious award .
- He was presented with award by Union Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal at a special function organised in New Delhi.
- The award was given upon R Ashwin in 2014, but he was not present during the Award Ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhawan in August 2014. During that time he was a part of the India One Day International (ODI) team, which was touring in England.
About Arjuna Award:
- Arjuna Award was started in 1961.
- Given by Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports to sportsperson in recognition of their outstanding achievement in National sports.
- Award included Bronze statue of Arjuna, a scroll and a monetary award of 5 lakh rupees.
- Published/Last Modified on: August 4, 2015