DRDO Successfully Tests New Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System [ Current News (Concise) ]
DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organization) successfully conducted firing tests of Armament system for 155 mm x52 caliber New Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS). The tests were conducted as part of technical trials at Proof & Experimental Establishment (PXE) in Balasore, Odisha.
- ATAGS is being developed to supplement the indigenously designed and manufactured 155 millimeter/45 caliber artillery gun.
- It’s a mission of DRDO as a part of artillery modernisation programme of Indian Army.
- Pune based Armament Research & Development Establishment (ARDE) is the nodal laboratory of DRDO.
- This laboratory is design and development of ATAGS along with association of other DRDO laboratories.
- Armament system of ATAGS includes a muzzle brake, barrel, breech mechanism and recoil mechanism to fire 155 mm calibre ammunitions.
- It has a longer firing range of 40 Kms and it’s provides greater fire power, accuracy and correctness.
- It has night firing capability in direct fire mode.
- It has been organized with all electric drive to certify maintenance free and reliable operation over a longer period of time.
- Published on: July 15, 2016