Dam Rehabilitation and Improvement Project (Download PDF)

()

Download PDF of This Page (Size: 169.72 K)

Dam Rehabilitation and Improvement Project (DRIP) with the financial assistance of the World Bank envisages repair and rehabilitation of 198 dams in seven states- Jharkhand (DVC), Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, and Uttarakhand (UJVNL). The number of dams has been finally revised to 198.

Image of Dam Rehabilitation And Improvement Project

Image of Dam Rehabilitation And Improvement Project

Image of Dam Rehabilitation And Improvement Project

Objectives of DRIP

  • Improve safety and operational performance of existing dams in sustainable manner

  • Strengthen dam safety institutional setup of participating States

State Wise Backup of Dam

Table Contain Shows the State Wise Backup of Dam

Table Contain Shows the State Wise Backup of Dam

State

No of DRIP dams

Kerala (WRD & EB)

28

Orissa (WRD)

26

Madhya Pradesh (WRD)

25

Tamil Nadu (WRD & EB)

89

Karnataka (WRD)

22

Jharkhand (DVC)

3

Uttarakhand (UJVNL)

5

CWC

Total

198

Details of Funding for Dam Rehabilitation and Improvement Project (DRIP)

  • Externally-aided project with 80 % of the cost provided by the World Bank as loan and remaining 20 % borne by the States (Central Government for CWC).

  • No funding sought from any internal agency for this project

Large Dams in India

  • A large dam is one with a maximum height of more than 15 meters from its deepest foundation to the crest

  • Or a dam between 10 and 15 m in height from its deepest foundation provided it meets one of the following conditions:

    • Length of crest of the dam is not less than 500 m or

    • Capacity of the reservoir formed by the dam is not less than one million cubic m or

    • Maximum flood discharge dealt with by the dam is not less than 2000 cubic m per second or

    • Dam has specially difficult foundation problems

    • Dam is of unusual design

  • Or Earthen and Rock fill dams is large if it exceeds 15m in height above deepest river bed level or a dam between 10 and 15 m height provided volume of earthwork exceeds 0.75 million m cube and storage exceeds 1 million m cube or the maximum flood discharge exceeds 2000 cumecs.

List of Important Large Dam

Table Contain Shows the List of Important Large Dam

Table Contain Shows the List of Important Large Dam

Name

Purpose

River

Nearest City

State

Basin

Year

Type

Length

Max Height above Foundation

Design Gross Storage Capacity (MCM

Tehri Dam

Hydroelectric, Irrigation

Bhagirathi

Pratapnagar

Uttarakhand

Ganga

2005

Earthen/Gravity & Masonry

575

260.5

3540

Lakhwar Dam

Hydroelectric, Irrigation

Yamuna

Dehradun

Uttarakhand

Ganga

Earthen/Gravity & Masonry

451

204

587.84

Idukki (Eb) /Idukki Arch Dam

Hydroelectric

Periyar

Todupulai

Kerala

West flowing rivers from Tadri to Kanyakumari

1974

Gravity & Masonry

366

169

1998.57

Bhakra Dam

Hydroelectric, Irrigation, Recreation

Satluj

Bilaspur

Himachal Pradesh

Indus up to International Border

1963

Earthen/Gravity & Masonry

518.16

167.64

9867.84

Pakal Dul Dam

Hydroelectric

Marusudar

Kishtwar

Jammu & Kashmir

Indus up to International Border

Earthen/Gravity & Masonry

305

167

. 1254

Sardar Sarover Gujarat Dam

Hydroelectric, Irrigation

Narmada

Rajpipla

Gujarat

Narmada

Gravity & Masonry

1210

163

9500

- Published/Last Modified on: September 9, 2017

Schemes & Proj.

Monthy-updated, fully-solved, large current affairs-2018 question bank(more than 2000 problems): Quickly cover most-important current-affairs questions with pointwise explanations especially designed for IAS, CBSE-NET, Bank-PO and other competetive exams.