Deepa Malik: India’S First Woman to Win Paralympics Medal [ Current News (Concise) - Sports ]
Deepa Malik becomes first Indian woman who earn medal in Paralympics, after winning silver medal in Women’s shotput at the 2016 Rio Paralympics. With this India earned 3rd medal in the 2016 Rio Paralympics.
- Malik had thrown of 4.61m in six attempts and won the silver medal in the shotput F-53 event in the shotput F-53 event.
- Whereas gold medal was won by Bahrain’s Fatema Nedham with the best throw of 4.76m.
- The bronze medal was won by the Dimitra Korokida of Greece’s with a throw of 4.28m.
About Deepa Malik
- Deepa Malik belongs to Sonipat, Haryana.
- She is connected with Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI) and Himalayan Motorsports Association (HMA).
- She has driven 1700-km in sub-zero temperatures within 8 days including climb to 18000 feet covering many difficult paths in remote Himalayas, Leh, Shimla and Jammu.
- She is also a member of 12th five- year plan (2012-2017) on Sports and Physical Education working group.
- The Planning Commission HRD Division has nominated her on the behalf of Union Sports Ministry.
About Summer Paralympic Games
- The Summer Paralympic Games are an international multi-sport event, for athletes with physical disabilities compete such as mobility disabilities, amputations, blindness, and cerebral palsy.
- The Paralympic Games were organized at every four years by the International Paralympic Committee.
- It was firstly played in 1904.
- It is known as Federation of Motor Sports Club India. It was formed in the year 1971.
- It is the only motor sport federation recognized by government of India.
- Its main function is to promote and control motor sport in India.
- Its main headquarters are in Chennai, India. Its members include FIM and FIA.
- From past few years it has an association with business corporates like J K Tyres, MRF, Indian Oil Corporation, ITC, the UB Group, McDowell, Birla Tyres, Popular Automobiles, Ceat Tyres, AVT, Goodyear, Maruti, TVS, Escorts Yamaha, Hero Honda etc.
- Published/Last Modified on: September 13, 2016