Deepak Lather wins India’s second weightlifting gold in 62 kg at CYG [ Current News (Concise) ]
Indian weightlifter Deepak Lather wins gold medal in 62 kg category played at Commonwealth Youth Games (CYG). This was fifth Commonwealth Youth Games and played at Samoa of Polynesia. This gold medal was India’s second gold medal of fifth CYG.
First gold medal in weightlifting was won by Jamjang Deru in 56 kg category in this fifth CYG.
Lather finished his weightlifting with total of 258 kg, in which 120 kg in snatch which is being a new record of CYG and 138 kg in clean and jerk.
About Commonwealth Youth Games:
- The Commonwealth Youth Games are a small - scale version of the Commonwealth Games which is planned for the youth of the 71 Commonwealth countries.
- The first Commonwealth Youth Games were held in Scotland in August 2000.
- The second Commonwealth Youth Games played in Australia in December 2004.
- The third CYGs were held in the Indian city of Pune from 12 to 18 October 2008.
- Published on: September 10, 2015