Digilocker – General Studies Mains [ Detailed Analysis (CA/GS) - Science & Technology ]
Digital India is one of the most dramatic dreams of our Prime Minister till date. It actually resonates with our forward thinking nation. Digilocker is a digital locker service launched by the GOVERNMENT OF INDIA in February 2015.
- It is to secure dedicated personal electronic space for storing the documents of the citizens. Initially its capacity was 10MB which has now upgraded to 1GB.
- It is linked to Unique Identification Authority of India of the user.
- India has 53725 Digilocker users and 43121 documents stored in the digital form. The top three states using this facility are Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra respectively.
- It was launched by the Department of Electronics and Information Technology, under the ministry of communications
What Really Is DigiLocker?
- Cloud platform include the likes of Google drive, sky drive, Drop Box, iCloud etc. and Digilocker is no different. It is a digital service where Indian citizens can easily store digital copies of their documents.
- Not just that, user can also safely store URL links to it.
- User can store documents like Permanent Account Number cards, Voter ID cards, driving license etc.
- There is also an associated facility for e-signing documents. The service intends to minimize the use of physical documents.
Who Can Use This Service?
- The service is open to all the residents in India.
- The service targets every single Indian in the country.
- The service has its restrictions too viz. the service is only available to those who have their aadhar cards at disposal.
- So anyone having an aadhar card can apply for this service.
Is the Service Costing?
- This governmental service is free of cost. As a citizen of India, it is expected that everyone is a proud tax payer.
- The tax pays for this service. So basically this service is a national infrastructure service.
Special Requirements for Digilocker
How Much Storage Space is offered
- This is where the users get unsatisfied, as the given maximum storage space is only 1 gigabyte for each user. But the good part is that since each individual document does not even exceed few KBs in size, hence 1GB is enough for accommodating thousands of documents.
Who Is In Charge Of Maintaining the DigiLocker Service
- The responsibility of maintaining the Digilocker service is given to the Department of Electronics and Information Technology of Government of India.
Modes of Accessing this Service
- The service is easily available on android device from play store in the form of an app, currently there is no information about its availability on IOS devices.
How to Get Inside the Locker
In order to access this service, user needs to sign up for it. Even a link is provided on the registration page, where aadhar card number will be required. Once the number is submitted, a onetime password will be sent to the mobile number of the user or “finger print” is an easier way to do it. A biometric device will be required to be attached to the computer. Currently 11 biometric devices are supported
- COGENT CSD200
- MANTRA MFS100
- MORPHO MSO 1350E
- MORPHO MSO 1350E2
- MORPHO MSO 1300E
- MORPHO MSO 300
- MORPHO MSO 301
- MORPHO MSO 350
- MORPHO MSO 351
- SECUGEN HU20
- STARTEK FM220
Once the finger print is authenticated user will be taken to the next page where username and password can be created.
For one time password, the OTP will be sent on the user’s mobile number which should be UIDAI registered. Which will take the user to an Enrollment center and get it registered.
Once the user enters the OTP, UIDAI will perform e-KYC verification. Upon successful verification the user can enter the locker and use it.
What Will One Find Inside DigiLocker
Inside the locker, the user will find a folder named my documents. Inside that folder there will be two more subsections titled digital documents and uploaded documents.
Each Document Stored In Digital Documents Would Contain
- Name of the Document
- URI for the Document
- Date of Issuing the Document
- Options for Sharing the Document
Each Uploaded Document Will Contain
- Name Of Document
- Date On Which The Document Was Uploaded
- Status Of Document
- Options For Removing Or Deleting The Document
- Options For Sharing The Document
- Signature Option
What Are the Benefits of DigiLocker
Current Status of DigiLocker
- Published/Last Modified on: September 22, 2016