Draupadi Murmu sworn in as first woman Governor of Jharkhand [ Current News (Concise) ]
Ms. Draupadi Murmu was the first woman and tribal leader from Odisha to be appointed as a Governor in an Indian State. Ms. Murmu was sworn in as the first woman and 9th Governor of Jharkhand since the state was granted statehood status after bifurcating from Bihar on 15 November 2000. Jharkhand High Court Chief Justice Virendra Singh administered oath of office under the provisions of Article 159 of Constitution to her.
- Ms. Murmu replaced Syed Ahmed who was recently transferred as Governor of Manipur by President Pranab Mukherjee.
- From March 2000 to August 2002, Ms. Murmu was the Minister of State (MoS) with independent charge for Commerce and Transport and she also was MoS for Fisheries and Animal Resources Development from August 2002 to May 2004.
- Draupadi Murmu is two-time Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MLA from Odisha Assembly and had represented Rairangpur.
- Ms. Murmu had served as Cabinet Minister in the Naveen Patnaik led coalition government of Biju Janata Dal (BJD) and BJP.
- Published on: May 20, 2015