Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Ordinance, 2016 has been announced by President [ Current News (Concise) ]
To make amendments to the Enemy Property Act, 1968 Pranab Mukherjee has announced the Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Ordinance, 2016. Under the governmental powers in consultation with Council of Union Ministers as per the provisions of Article 123 of Constitution of India Pranab Mukherjee has publicized the Ordinance.
- The purpose behind this Act is to deal with the loopholes in the existing law.
Proposed Amendments are
- If any enemy property is conferred to the Custodian it shall continue to be vested in him.
- It shall not return back to opponent subject or opponent firm due to death of subject or firm ceased to function.
- To enemy property the law of succession will not apply.
- During the India-Pakistan wars in 1965 and 1971 there was many peoples who transferred from India to Pakistan, so properties of such transferred persons who acquired Pakistani nationality were taken by Union Government under the Defence of India Rules framed under Defence of India Act. .
- Such kind of enemy properties was vested in the Protector of Enemy Property for India by the Union Government.
Enemy Property Act, 1968
- For the incessant vesting of enemy property in the custodian the act is provided.
- Through the Custodian of Enemy Property for India, the ownership of enemy properties spread across many states in the country vest with the Union Government.
- Published on: January 11, 2016