Energy International Paralympic Committee derecognizes Paralympic Committee of India [ Current News (Concise) - Committees ]
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) has suspended the Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) for indefinite period and the reason behind this PCI had provided shoddy treatment to athletes during the National Para-Athletics Championships held in Ghaziabad from March 20 to 22, 2015.
- PCI (International Paralympic Committee) has been suspended by IPC for second time. According to the PCI suspension, Indian para-athletes will not be able to participate in any IPC-sanctioned competition, including 2016 Paralympic Games at Rio de Janeiro.
- But Union Sports Ministry also has issued a show cause notice to PCI. This notice was issued based upon enquiry conducted by Sports Authority of India (SAI).
- Sports Authority of India had reported that the sports venue did not have proper facilities to conduct National Championship and also lacked allied facilities required for differently athletes.
- 1n 1992, Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) was founded as the Physically Handicapped Sports Federation of India.
- In 2011, PCI was recognized as National Sports Federation (NSF) for promotion of sports amongst the physically challenged sportspersons in the country.
- Published on: April 21, 2015