Fide Women’S Grand Prix Trophy of Chess Wins Harika Dronavalli [ Current News (Concise) ]
India’s Chess Grand Master Harika Dronavalli won the Fide Women’s Grand Prix trophy in Chendu, China. This was the first Grand Prix Chess title for the Grand Master from Guntur. It was her original career Grand Pix title. Harika defeated Russia’s Olga Girya to win the title.
- She finished on 7 points in the round robin tournament which had featured world’s top 12 players to be topped the champion.
- India Grand Master Koneru Humpy too rounded off her campaign with a victory to finish on 7 points.
- Harika Dronavalli on the shared first place with 7/11 points each
- Harika jumped back to the top of the table in the seventh round.
- She played calmly and smartly to earn draws and win the title.
- Therefore, Harika was declared winner for finishing with a better tie-break record in the tournament.
- Ju Wenjun was awarded the trophy for third place.
About Harika Dronavalli
- Dronavalli Harika born on 12 January 1991 in Gorantla, Guntur district, Andhra Pradesh, India.
- She was a student of Sri Venkateswara Bala Kuteer, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh.
- She is became the second Indian woman chess player after Koneru Humpy to achieve the Grandmaster title.
- Published on: July 15, 2016