Fifth Normandy Group Foreign Ministers meet held in Berlin [ Current News (Concise) ]
Fifth Normandy Group meeting of the foreign ministers of the group members was held on 13 April 2015 in Berlin, the capital of Germany for an immediate halt to fighting in eastern Ukraine. Normandy Group or Normandy Quartet is a four group of foreign minister’s countries including Russia, France, Germany and Ukraine.
- The group was formed to facilitate a diplomatic resolution to the ongoing conflict between the Ukraine Army and pro-Russia forces in the Donbass region of Ukraine.
- Normandy Group was found on 6 June 2014 after an informal meeting of the four heads of state on the sidelines of commemoration of the seventieth anniversary of D Day in Normandy, France.
- From time to time, the group reviews the progress in implementing the truce pact, which came into force on 15 February 2015.
- The foreign ministers also called for more heavy weaponry to be withdrawn from eastern Ukraine as well as more monitoring of the fragile ceasefire between the Kiev govt. and Russia forces.
- The pact was reached in the Belarusian city of Minsk between pro-Russia forces and Ukraine to end the conflict.
- Published on: April 16, 2015